Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:03:16 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1102389346.899684_at_yasure...
> Anurag Varma wrote:

> >>I agree. But I have read elsewhere specific advice to drop them as they
> >>are a security risk just by existing. Alternatively one can keep the
> >>roles but drop those privs from them that are inappropriate.
> >>
> >>I disagree that dropping CONNECT and RESOURCE will screw up any
> >>aspect of Oracle. But if you insist certainly one could edit those
> >>default roles to remove inappropriate privileges. What end-user,
> >>for example, needs the ability to create clusters and database links?
> >>And what DBA would want them to if they even knew what they were?
> >>--
> >>Daniel A. Morgan
> >>University of Washington
> >>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> >>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
> >

> > connect, resource roles are used by oracle scripts themselves. Dropping them will not be good. I'm not sure why
> > you are still sticking to your advice of dropping them:
> >
> > Try this in the rdbms/admin dir:
> >
> > egrep -i 'grant ' *.* | egrep -i ' (connect|resource)( |,)'
> > a0801070.sql: execute immediate 'GRANT DEBUG CONNECT SESSION TO JAVADEBUGPRIV';
> > c0703040.sql: 'grant connect, resource, execute any procedure to outln',
> > c0800050.sql: 'grant connect, resource, execute any procedure to outln',
> > catqm.sql:grant resource to xdb;
> > catsnmp.sql:grant connect to OEM_MONITOR;
> > catsnmp.sql:grant resource to OEM_MONITOR;
> > catsnmp.sql:grant CONNECT, SELECT ANY DICTIONARY to DBSNMP;
> > catxdbr.sql:Rem nagarwal 11/05/01 - grant DML privileges to resource view
> > csminst.sql:grant connect, resource, dba to csmig
> > dbmslsby.sql:Rem jnesheiw 07/23/02 - grant connect, resource to logstdby_administrator
> > dbmslsby.sql:GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE TO logstdby_administrator;
> > jvmsec5.sql:GRANT DEBUG CONNECT SESSION TO JAVADEBUGPRIV;
> > migrate.bsq:grant connect, resource, dba to migrate identified by migrate;
> > owmctab.plb:grant connect, resource, create public synonym, drop public synonym, create role to wmsys;
> > owmu901.plb:grant connect, resource, create public synonym, drop public synonym to wmsys;
> > prvtbiau.plb:1 GRANT CONNECT THROUGH :
> > sql.bsq:grant connect to outln
> > sql.bsq:grant resource to outln
> > utlsampl.sql:GRANT CONNECT,RESOURCE,UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY TIGER;
> >

> > Anurag
>
> Because they are security holes. Perhaps it is just me but I read
> scripts before I run them and edit them where appropriate.
>
> I absolutely fail to see why anyone would grant CONNECT knowing it
> is giving each and every end user the ability to create a database
> link. It may not be a problem where many of you work ... but in a
> security conscious environment ... it just makes no sense: At least
> to me.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Fine. Then tell me what privs you would really grant the outln, wmsys, oem_monitor, logstdby_administrator and csmig users? .. if you
plan on dropping connect, resource from your database What would you edit the above lines to?
How would you figure out what privs to grant by looking at a wrapped pl/sql code (see owmctab.plb above)? mind reading I guess!

Anurag Received on Tue Dec 07 2004 - 00:03:16 CST