Re: OK to revoke privileges from SYS or DBA?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:23:46 +1100

hpuxrac wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>
> snip
>

>>I'd drop the DBA role completely as that is what Oracle advises. It
>>exists, like CONNECT and RESOURCE solely for demonstration purposes
>>just as does SCOTT/TIGER.

> I disagree. Securing access to oracle provided roles is one thing,
> recommending dropping the roles is another thing altogether.
>
> I for one have never heard anyone from oracle advising the DBA role
> should be dropped. I don't think that I would consider dropping
> connect or resource role either.
>
> Where does this recommendation come from exactly?
>
> Is this something someone has done on a production system and why?
> What were the ramifications?
>
> This advice seems to me to be somewhat seat of the pants and highly
> questionable. Willing to have it proven otherwise of course.
>
> John

It actually doesn't say to drop them anywhere in the Oracle documentation as far as I can tell. It says they're there for backwards compatibility reasons... which rather implies they have a use and a function, and should therefore be left alone.

I notice their 9i Fundamentals II course notes, when they discuss setting up an RMAN catalog, says to create an 'RMAN User' to own the catalog... and then shows how to grant connect and resource to the new user.

You could well argue that this is merely sloppy courseware writing, but it's a fairly good indication too that Oracle still sees a continuing use for these things, so that dropping them would not be a particularly wise move.

A quick search in the 9i official documentation also yields this quote:

"It is suggested that you create at least one additional administrator user, and grant that user the DBA role, to use when performing daily administrative tasks. It is recommended that you do not use SYS and SYSTEM for these purposes."

That's from
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Dec 06 2004 - 18:23:46 CST