Re: ALTER TABLE ? ?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Dec 2004 11:34:29 -0800

nroberts_at_ci.charlotte.nc.us wrote:
> HI All, I am wondering if the ALTER TABLE ddl will impact any
triggers,
> etc... if I am only using it to increase field lengths in a few of my
> tables? I am not aware of any impact here - but am interested in your
> opinion! THanks much! PS - please no email / old address, I will
check
> posts instead. thx

It may, it may not, as it depends upon the triggers. Are any of these triggers accessing other tables and comparing values? If so such actions could cause a trigger to fail if the column types and sizes don't match (data in one table can be longer than in another, related table). As long as you change all related tables the same way it shouldn't affect you. Just check your triggers first; you never know when something could go wrong.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Dec 06 2004 - 13:34:29 CST