Re: ORA-03217 ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP PERMANENT; 9.2

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 5 Dec 2004 15:40:25 -0800

Christoph here's a couple ideas for you.

My first question is what kind of application is designed so that your customer sends in an export file for you to process? There are many alternatives and options available these days ... creating an xml file, using a comma delimited flat file format, etc. Give us some more information about how and why you are faced with dealing with importing an export file in the first place.

The second question I have is what specific information does your application require out of that export file? It appears that you are doing a full import is that correct? What are the reasons for doing a full import? Can you just import certain tables or certain schema's?

You yourself can identify what it is that your customer is sending you that ends up in the temp tablespace. Doing a query against DBA_TABLES is one approach. It may very well be that for some reason there is just a small number of things coming in temp that can be deleted from the source database(s). Identify all the things in temp before the import (better be none), identify all the things after the import, and work on eliminating all of them.

Did you ask how to move things out of the temp tablespace? I am hoping that anyone doing database imports knows how to create tables and other oracle objects. What specific questions if any do you have in this area? Received on Sun Dec 05 2004 - 17:40:25 CST