Re: What Would Cause....

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:58:07 +1100

DA Morgan wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>>
>>> "Harvey" <harveyb_at_NoSpambeliveau.ccHere> wrote in message

>>> I wonder if the *slow* tablespaces are in fact dictionary managed and
>>> have rather a lot of extents in the objects in them, whereas the
>>> *fast* ones are locally managed.
>>> You can however find out rather than guessing. You can trace the dba
>>> studio session and then see (using tkprof, traceanalyser or some
>>> other tool) what is consuming the time. ten minutes does sound
>>> excessive.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> I realise we don't have to guess, because the OP could test as you
>> describe. But I'd like to predict that the slowly-displaying
>> tablespaces will actually be the locally-managed ones. And the
>> fast-displaying ones will be dictionary-managed. Not out of
>> perversity, but because extent calculations are the one thing LMTs do
>> worse than DMTs.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see whether the style of extent management
>> has anything to do with this at all!
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>

> Just to be contrary I'll posit that it is neither. I can't see any
> difference in asking the equivalent question in SQL*Plus so I'll put
> my money on the fact that it is the tool and not the database.

What does "[there is] no difference in asking the equivalent question in SQL*Plus" mean?

The question the OP is asking, I believe, is to find out about used extents and free space within a tablespace.

Presumably, therefore, the "equivalent" display mechanism in SQL*Plus is a query from dba_extents and/or dba_free_space. If you're thinking of some other equivalent, you should let us in on the specifics.

If it is indeed the case that you are thinking of querying dba_extents and/or dba_free_space in SQL*Plus, then I'm afraid that it is definitely the case that it is generally slower to query those views for LMTs than DMTs. That you haven't been able to "see" it, doesn't mean the slow-down isn't there.

Connor McDonald discussed the point in a contribution to the Cooperative FAQ on Jonathan's website (where he said that LMTs are not the only reason querying dba_extents is slow, but didn't dismiss that as one factor either). And if I could remember where Jonathan himself discussed the issue, I'd point you to the relevant quotation. But I don't, so I can't, and maybe Jonathan could refresh my memory.

HJR Received on Sat Dec 04 2004 - 20:58:07 CST