Re: java_xa, initxa, initjvm

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:36:54 GMT

Ed Stevens wrote:

> Oracle 9.2 EE on Solaris
>
> A consulting developer came to me with a requirement dealing with jdbc
> thin client, transactions, and other things java related. [...]Unfortunately, > all things java are
 > pretty much beyond the edge of my knowledge, and all things Oracle are  > beyond the edge of the knowledge of the consultant.

>[...]

> Basically, the guy says he needs to have the "java_xa package"
> installed. [...]
>
> So I'm not sure where I stand at this point. Can someone get me
> pointed in the right direction? Have I even provided enough info for
> you to be able to point me in the right direction?

Here's a pointer.... from one whose edge has been slightly blunted when cutting into Java ;-)

Are you sure this requires anything on the Oracle server side at all? Is your developer by chance using an environment like Weblogic or Websphere to execute Java?

Here is a different take on it from BEA, this link specifically mentions Oracle.

http://edocs.beasys.com/wls/docs70/oracle/trxjdbcx.html#1080882

In my experience XA is an attribute of the JDBC connection pool you configure from the client side, and depends on the JDBC driver(s) you are using. It has to do with distributed transactions and two-phase commit, but again from the Java side, not the Oracle side.

HTH,
Mark Bole Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 19:36:54 CST