Re: ORA-03217 ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP PERMANENT; 9.2

From: Hans Erik Busk <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:32:10 +0100

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:16:37 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>> The problem is the following:
>>
>> The remote site, the customer, sends me an export file (.dmp)
>> and I cannot read it into a freshly created instance for that reason.
>> I cannot do anything about the way the customer exported the file.
>> At least not without another day turnaround time.
>
>Oh, OK. It's your customer that needs a good kick in the behind, then! :-)
>
>The only thing you can really do is as John said, I think. Create a new
>one that is genuinely temporary but called something like 'REALTEMP',
>drop the original TEMP tablespace, and then create a new, permanent,
>ordinary tablespace that happens to have the name 'TEMP' (or whatever
>tablespace your import is actually trying to create these objects in).

Sounds like he is creating a fresh database before import. In that case the "CREATE DATABASE" statement could just be changed regarding the name of the "DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE" to something else, and then of course create at PERMANENT tablespace named TEMP A bit crazy though!

If this is done often it could be a good idea to have a "database template" i.e. all the datafiles, controlfiles and redofiles before the import backed up somewhere. Then just restore the template before next import.

Hans Erik Busk
Denmark Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:32:10 CST