Oracle Performance empty_blob() vs createTemporary() use

From: Malkit <mbhasin_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 13:01:42 -0800

Hi Guys,

I have one question regarding the oracle performance.

As you know that we can temporary tablespace to write the blob/clob data and then use the handle (returned by createTemporary()) for moving the data for permanent storage all that can done in one call as opposed to inserting empty_blob() in one call followed by another query for getting handle to this lob and writing data on it.

I have following concerns.

In the first we are writing the data two times, first in the temporary tablespace and then to the table, but we cache and reuse the handle obtained across multiple calls hence avoiding inserting multiple calls for inserting empty_blob(). Do you think this has better performance than inserting empty_blob() and making two calls.

Also, is it necessary to free up the temporary tablespace (created by the create temporary) because we want to reuse this blob handle to the temporary tablespace across various calls, hence not calling freeTemporary() to free up the temporary table space.

Thanks for your inputs

Malkit Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:01:42 CST