java_xa, initxa, initjvm

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:25:25 -0600

Oracle 9.2 EE on Solaris

A consulting developer came to me with a requirement dealing with jdbc thin client, transactions, and other things java related. Doing some searches on the ng archive, MetaLink, and tahiti, it seems to be that I need to run the initxa script (as sys?) and possibly the initjvm (as sys?) before running initxa. Unfortunately, all things java are pretty much beyond the edge of my knowledge, and all things Oracle are beyond the edge of the knowledge of the consultant. I'd like to use this opportunity to actually fill in some knowlege and understanding on my part, beyond just running a script to fix his problem.

When I searched tahit for 'JAVA_XA' I only got one hit -- a JAXP Example from the XML Developer's Kits Guide .... probably not what I was looking for.

When I searched the ng archives, I got a few hits, most of which were original post only, no replies. The few that did have replies, I didn't have enough knowledge to really understand the questions, so couldn't evaluate the replies well, but there were references to running the initxa script.

Searching MetaLink was pretty much like searching the ng archive. A few hits from the forums and I didn't have enough knowledge to understand the discussions.

Basically, the guy says he needs to have the "java_xa package" installed. Taking my best guess from the results of the above searches, I logged on as sys ("/ as sysdba") and ran initxa. That gave me the following result ..

SQL> @initxa

JVMRMACTION

FULL_REMOVAL
          initjvmaux.startstep('JVMRMXA')) then
          *

ERROR at line 3:
ORA-06550: line 3, column 11:
PLS-00201: identifier 'INITJVMAUX.STARTSTEP' must be declared
ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:

PL/SQL: Statement ignored

Package created.

Package body created.

Grant succeeded.

SQL>

So I'm not sure where I stand at this point. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? Have I even provided enough info for you to be able to point me in the right direction? Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 14:25:25 CST