Spurious ORA-12500 and ORA-12560 TNS error

From: Steve Morrell <Steve.Morrell_at_techprt.co.uk>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 08:12:57 -0800

Hi there,

I set up an oracle instance on a test machine a while ago that worked fine. It's an 8i personal edition, with the server and client on the same PC, a windows 2000 machine. It was used to go to a client site to do some testing against some of their kit, so is entire stand-alone, and it worked fine.

It was rebooted prior to another trip a few days ago, and when we attempted to access the database we kept getting an ORA-12500 error. We thought maybe the listeners.ora file was buggered, but seemed fine, and the same as it was when we used it before. I used lsnrctl to check the state of the listener, and saw that it had a service handler corresponding to the database as elsewhere. We can tnsping the database from other machines, and frnakly can't figure out what the problem is.

Below is a listener.log entry for the error in question

02-DEC-2004 16:12:00 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=sizbriz)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program
Files\PLSQL Developer\PLSQLDev.exe)(HOST=RT-STE)(USER=steve))) *
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=RT-SUZ)(PORT=1992)) * establish * sizbriz
* 12500
TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
   32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

All the best,
Steve. Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 10:12:57 CST