Re: 10g startup problem on W2k Pro

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:34:26 -0600

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:31:45 +0100, "Alex NSB" <alexnsb_at_tin.it> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:40:42 +0100, "Alex NSB" <alexnsb_at_tin.it> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I'm running Oracle Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 on
>>> Windows2000 Professional SP4 and I have the following problem: when
>>> I startup the PC (after regular shutdown) I can't access the db.
>>>
>>> For example, if I try to connect from SQL-Plus I get the following
>>> error:
>>>
>>> -----------------------
>>> ERROR:
>>> ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
>>> -----------------------
>>>
>>> All Oracle services marked as "Autostart" are running, namely:
>>>
>>> OracleCompanion10g_home1ProcessManager
>>> OracleCSService
>>> OracleDBConsoleorcl
>>> OracleOraDb10g_home1iSQL*Plus
>>> OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
>>> OracleOraEM10g_home1Agent
>>> OracleServiceORCL
>>>
>>> To quickly fix the issue it is sufficient restarting the
>>> OracleServiceORCL (which implies restarting the OracleDBConsoleorcl
>>> as well).
>>>
>>> What can be causing this?
>>>
>>> I tried checking the log files and the only thing I have found so
>>> far is a certain number of errors, in sqlnet.log, like:
>>>
>>> -----------------------
>>> Fatal NI connect error 12528, connecting to:
>>>
>(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=myhost.mydomain.it)(Port=1521))(CO
>>>
>NNECT_DATA=(SID=orcl)(CID=(PROGRAM=E:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\
>>> bin\MSWin32-x86\perl.exe)(HOST=MYHOST)(USER=SYSTEM))))
>>> -----------------------
>>>
>>> Not sure if they are related to my problem, though.
>>>
>>> TIA for your assistance.
>>>
>>> Alessandro
>>>

>> Well, when Oracle spits a "ORA-nnnnn" at me, the first thing I do is
>> look up that particular error. Three places to look are MetaLink (if
>> you have a support contract), tahiti.oracle.com (actually has an error
>> lookup search), or the Google archives of this very newsgroup. In
>> your case, you need to be looking up that ORA-01033. It's not related
>> to the 12528, but I'd be looking at that one anyway, just because any
>> error msg piques my curiosity.
>>
>> I just did a search for ORA-01033 on the ng archives and got lots of
>> hits. Most discussion had a lot to do with having pulled the plug on
>> the db -- shutting down the machine without having done a clean
>> shutdown of the db. As for the solution to your immediate problem...
>> I've given you the clues and directions, I'll leave the actual
>> research as a self-study exercise.
>
>Ed,
>
>thank you for your reply.
>
>I already did some researches (as I usually do before posting a question)
>and couldn't find a definitive answer.
>
>I checked again and found many posts explaining how to solve the "symptoms"
>(I believe the equivalent of restarting the Oracle processes, as I do now)
>but not the root cause (as I said, this happens after - apparently - regular
>Windows shutdown).
>
>IOW, seems to me that something wrong is going on when I shutdown my PC that
>prevents the db from restarting correctly.
>
>An update: I have found an ORA-1507 error in my alert log: I tried
>recreating the control files and rebooted but nothing has changed.
>
>Thanks again for your interest.
>
>Alessandro

Is the database being shut down cleanly before the machine is shut down, or are you just shutting down the machine? Check your alert log for signs of a clean, compleat shutdown just before the failed startup. Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 07:34:26 CST