Re: Number of extents too high

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:31:16 +1100

Chloe Crowder wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there a point at which the number of extents for a table/index in a
> locally managed tablespace becomes too high? I've seen a number of
> postings in the group which say not to worry, 40 or 50 isn't a
> problem, but we have a number of tables which have hundreds of
> extents, and at least three with over a thousand (the highest being an
> index with over 22,000, which seems a bit excessive!).
>
> Chloe Crowder

22,000 extents is definitely excessive, and I don;t care what ectent management mechanism you're dealing with!!

The physics and mechanics are discussed here:

http://www.dizwell.com/html/extent_numbers.html

Incidentally, and by way of a short answer: a few hundred extents in LMT isn't a major drama.

regards
HJR Received on Fri Dec 03 2004 - 04:31:16 CST