Re: Use Streams with both 9i and 10g

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:06:10 GMT

"Cookie Monster" <cookie.monster_at_somewhere.com> wrote in message news:3183d0F39jlq8U1_at_individual.net...
> Hi,
>
> I had a quick browse through the oracle documentation but could not quickly
> gather if I can use Oracle Streams for database replication between two
> different database versions. I have an older production 9i database and
> would like to replicate the data (one way) to a 10g database. I was looking
> at using oracle streams to do this. Does anyone know if I can do this
> (before I spend lots of time testing just to find out it does not work)?.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Although I have not tried a 10g to 9i streams configuration, I would expect it to be possible.

You would however, need to set the compatible parameter to 9.2 on both databases (and thus 9i version cannot be less than 9.2).

For the doco link mentioning this, see:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10727/man_prep.htm#1006283

also see this:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10727/strm_rul.htm#1016251

You should however, read the doco end to end for both 9i and 10g before really going ahead with it. :)

Anurag Received on Thu Dec 02 2004 - 19:06:10 CST