Re: ORA-03217 ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP PERMANENT; 9.2

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 2 Dec 2004 22:31:59 GMT

First a big thanks for Howard in his previous very good and elaborate explanation, possibly too valuable for me mundane casual Oracle user/dba/whatever you name it. But I begin to understand and like working on that stuff :-) and I really appreciate.

John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Sounds like you have some objects in the database you are migrating
> from that are in the TEMP tablespace. Not recommended but I guess
> that's where you are currently.

> How many objects are in TEMP? Can you move them out of TEMP to a more
> "usual" tablespace. That should fix your export/import problem.

> In 9.2 an alternate approach that "might" work would be to create a
> different temporary tablespace named TEMP2, then ditch TEMP, recreate
> TEMP as a permanet tablespace. But that just perpetuates a problem
> that should be fixed.

The problem is the following:

The remote site, the customer, sends me an export file (.dmp) and I cannot read it into a freshly created instance for that reason. I cannot do anything about the way the customer exported the file. At least not without another day turnaround time.