Re: rman 8i, How I clean out the catalog?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:53:41 +1100

Roberto Devo wrote:
> rmanGurus,
>
> I have an 8i database.
>
> Also I have an rman catalog inside of another 8i database.
>
> I need help cleaning old backup entries out of my rman catalog.
>
> When I run LIST BACKUPSET OF DATABASE,
> it returns a list of backups going back 4 years.
>
> Also I need a tip on how to keep the information in the catalog
> synchronized with the actual backups I have on disk.
>
> thanks,
>
> -jd

There's not really enough information here to go on (do you backup to tape orto disk; which O/S; which *specific* version of Oracle etc), but here goes for nothing anyway. I'm doing it from memory, so apologies for any slight syntax errors. Hopefully, it'll be close enough for you to work out what's going on.

I'm assuming you have 8.1.6 or 8.1.7. If so, you could sit there for a month of Sundays issuing commands such as:

allocate channel d1 for delete type disk; change backupset 36 delete;

That will physically delete the backup (in this case, from disk) and also clear out the catalog records.

But I further assume that your four years'-worth of backups are actually no longer physically in existence, in which case you can:

  1. Perform a crosscheck, which will mark all non-existent backups as expired.
  2. Delete all backupsets from the catalog which have been marked as expired.

That would be:

allocate channel for maintenance type 'sbt_tape'; crosscheck backup of database;
delete expired backup;

There's lots of other options. Have a poke around inside the documentation (http://tahiti.oracle.com).

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Dec 02 2004 - 14:53:41 CST