Re: Now and then wrong data is inserted in oracle

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 2 Dec 2004 10:49:51 -0800

snip

> The problem is very simple: we are loading data from an XML file in an
> oracle database. The data processed in the database is sometimes
> different from what we have in the XML file. This is occuring once in
> a while.

Life would be too simple if every problem were easy, right?

My suggestion is to work on your sentence above "the data processed in the database is sometimes different".

Try to prove that the "wrong" data that was processed came from your application. What about people connecting into oracle and changing it somehow (odbc via an access or excel spreadsheet maybe? other vb6 client server application? sqlplus or oracle based applications? ... etc).

How about other interfacing systems?

Don't assume that the wrong data that was processed came from the source that you believe it did ... prove it or disprove it.

If you can definitely prove it came from the application that you think it did, start narrowing down from there.

Let us know what you find. Received on Thu Dec 02 2004 - 12:49:51 CST