Re: Unlogged Deletes in Oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:46:30 +1100

peter_at_peternolan.com wrote:
> Hi Howard,
> as an old ex vendor 'not supported' means don't do it because the
> vendor is not going to help.....so 'it can be done using unsupported
> and undocumented work arounds' to me means the same as 'it cannot be
> done in the product'.

Well, we differ then. It *can* be done in the product. It's done in (at least) one Australian company, in production, every Friday night. They still have a support contract. But they don't use it when something goes wrong with their bulk load. They simply restore from their cold backup.

That you do something knowing the consequences, and provisioning escape routes that do not involve ringing the vendor, doesn't mean it cannot be done. It simply means, you don't ring the vendor when it goes wrong.

If I have given you the impression that 'it's unsuppported' means 'never, ever ring Oracle again', I was wrong to have done so. It simply means 'don't ever ring Oracle if this bulk load goes wrong, that's what the backup is for'.

> An old friend of mine pointed out unlogged operations for everything
> have been around for years and years on DB2 for unix, and they are
> supported by the vendor. Even updates now....seems I wasn't
> dreaming......

No difference in Oracle.

> And yes, performing unlogged operations means the DBA had better
> understand what he/she is doing because doing it wrong can kill the
> database and a crash may leave the partition and perhaps the whole
> database in an unusable state.

No difference in Oracle.

> But DBAs are supposed to be well
> trained and smart people. If they don't know what they are doing, they
> should not be doing DBA work.

No difference in Oracle.

Regards
HJR