Creating Partitioned Indexes on a Partitioned table

From: <peter_at_peternolan.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2004 03:02:08 -0800

Hi All,
I now have a table with 16 partitions and lots of indexes.

The field that defines which partition a row is in is OAP_EVT_TYPE_SRC. It can be 1-16.

I am creating indexes as listed below. The way the manual reads is that I must create the index on the whole 'table' which means all 16 partitions. But I would have thought it was really reasonable to be able to create indexes only on those partitions which we really wanted those indexes on.

Am I dreaming again, or is it possible in the example below to have just a few local indexes?

Of course, I understand that I can create the tables as separate physical tables and then index just the tables I want....but I was rather hoping not to have to do that....One of the things we try and do is reduce the number of tables to make maintenance easier...

Thanks

Peter Nolan

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX PF_CORE_EVT_LINE_IXR41 ON F_CORE_EVT_LINE (OAP_EVT_TYPE_SRC, SOURCE_ID_OAP, SOURCE_TABLE, LINE_TYPE) LOCAL
(
PARTITION ix01 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX01
,PARTITION ix02 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX02
,PARTITION ix03 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX03
,PARTITION ix04 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX04
,PARTITION ix05 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX05
,PARTITION ix06 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX06
,PARTITION ix07 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX07
,PARTITION ix08 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX08
,PARTITION ix09 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX09
,PARTITION ix10 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX10
,PARTITION ix11 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX11
,PARTITION ix12 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX12
,PARTITION ix14 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX14
,PARTITION ix15 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX15
,PARTITION ix16 TABLESPACE TS_CEL_IDX16
)
NOLOGGING
NOPARALLEL ; Received on Thu Dec 02 2004 - 05:02:08 CST