Re: log_archive_interval

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:10:48 +1100

Reinhard Maehr wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:10:50 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
>

>>That is indeed true if one were to be daft enough simply to copy an
>>archiving directory in its entirety. But if you were to source your
>>information about what archives existed from v$archived_log, for
>>example, then that could not happen, because the view only records
>>*completed* archives.
>>

> On the other side I use a simple aproach under windows.( not woking
> under uxkotz). Just do a simple blind move *.* \\server\arc every 5
> - 15 minutes. I have seen a small problem only once in 2 years and
> about 300 files a day. ( One of the archive log files seemed be not in
> full size on the backup server.)

Hmmm. When it comes to data integrity (and hence the *guaranteed* ability to recover the lot if need be), I don't muck about. So once in two years is way too frequent, IMHO. :-)

> But the idea of using Data Dict seems to be very clever !! !
>
> Sorry I am not allowed to use scripting host.

No, that's fair enough. It's a carrier of all sorts of nasties in the wrong hands.

> līll try another way.

Potentially, if you're good enough at them, boring old batch files which invoke SQL Plus with a sql script argument should be sufficient. But I'm not good enough at them!

Regards
HJR