Re: log_archive_interval

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2004 14:17:33 -0800

"John Wood" <jwood_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<sVcrd.214801$df2.188309_at_edtnps89>...
> First, I would like to thankyou for all the advises you guys gave in this
> post.
>
> I read in some books saying that it would be more efficient for Oracle if we
> can configure that the LGWR would do a log switch when CheckPoint. As the
> default CheckPoint timeout is 1800, does that mean we better have about 30
> minutes for the log switch interval ?
>
> I plan to have to two Archive Log destination, one will be mandatory at
> local drive, say drive E; the other will be optional, at a network mapped
> drive, say V on a different node. This is just to serve as a backup of the
> Archive Log files, as it is recommanded to have two different copies of
> archive log files. This way I don't have to back up the database using
> RMAN's command 'backup database plus archivelog', I just need to do 'backup
> database' to save some time in the backup process.
>
> I am not a dba, but I need to administrate a system that is Oracle 9.2 on a
> Window 2000 Server. Thanks in advance for taking the patience to help me
> out.
>
> JW.

Careful.
if you are simply using log_archive_dest and log_archive_duplex_dest, you could end up with the system relying on the remote archived redo log, which might not be in good shape.

the local archived redo log destination must be mandatory. this deserves much testing.

as others have indicated, you are not on solid footing with this configuration.
better to use a scripted solution driven off of the data dictionary to copy the files from local to remote.

-bdbafh Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 16:17:33 CST