Re: Table with 7000 columns?

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2004 12:58:21 -0800

hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com (utkanbir) wrote in message news:<f6c90ebe.0411292239.42efe1f2_at_posting.google.com>...

> The main issue is if i create table with 7800 columns inside ( in fact
> oracle only allows to create table with 1000 columns) , i believe it
> cant be queried.

Your row starts chaining when the table exceeds 255 columns. I don't know if 1024 columns means your row will be chained 4 times, but regardless, this is a very poor idea. Even Oracle allows you to do it, it is bad for capacity.

Each additional chaining means one additional logical IO and the associated CPU cost - every single time that row is visited. Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 14:58:21 CST