Question re. startup/shutdown triggers

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 1 Dec 2004 03:22:45 -0800

Hi all,

Environment:

9.2.0.4 on AIX 5.2 on RS6000 H80 64-bit server.

I've got an application running which makes use of Advanced Queueing and runs a number of jobs which listen to the queues. In normal operation there should be 7 of these jobs running. These jobs never end, so, unless I'm mistaken, when the database is shut down these jobs would automatically restart when the database is opened up again.  However, the application removes the jobs at shutdown and starts up 7 new jobs at startup.

A problem has arisen with this mechanism. I use a script to shut the database down which does a shutdown abort, a startup and then a shutdown immediate. I got into the habit of doing this because of occasions where a shutdown immediate would apparently hang indefinitely. Before anyone jumps in to say this is bad practice I would humbly point out that I've done this for several years on a number of databases daily with never once experiencing a problem. Oracle performs instance recovery and away you go.

However, what I'm finding is that the 7 jobs which were running at shutdown are not being removed and, when 7 more are added at startup
(through a startup trigger BTW) I find my job total growing steadily
by 7 jobs per shutdown. However, if I shutdown the database normally
(i.e. not ABORT) then the jobs are removed.

I have been trying for several days now to work out just how the application is terminating these jobs. There are no database shutdown triggers other than one owned by SYS which shuts down the Java server.  The fact that a shutdown abort DOESN'T clear the jobs, while a shutdown immediate DOES suggests that something is happening at shutdown, but by what process? The application does use a startup trigger but the source code of this is available and does nothing to terminate the listener jobs, only start up new ones.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Tim Kearsley
HBS Milton Keynes

(P.S. - Yes, I know I should be asking the application's support team,
but they respond VERY slowly, if at all!) Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 05:22:45 CST