Re: cannot delete entry from spfile

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:24:35 +0100

Joel Garry wrote:
[...]

> Of course, this made me curious as to what the docs say, so I went to
> tahiti and searched the 9.2 set for "alter system reset" which gave
> one hit, which didn't really clarify anything. OK, fine. I went to
> the 10 set, which gave one hit, which was just a DataGuard error.
> Sheesh, not so fine. I clicked on the Search tab, entered the same
> phrase for the Internet search, same results. Then I noticed under
> Master Index it had bright red letters "Goog Redirection Test"
> followed by Referrer =
> http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=1
>
> This page was not referred from Google
>
> Then I went to the Master Index HTML, and I couldn't find an ALTER
> SYSTEM RESET. Hmmmm.
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/statements_2013.htm#i2146449
>
> ought to be in the index somewhere. And the Database Reference ought
> to describe it.
>
> jg

It's of course in the SQL Reference, which is usually the first place I go looking if I'm unsure about a bit of syntax. Much faster than relying on any kind of search engine ;-)

And now that you mention it: The 9.2 Docs (at least in the downloadable version that I was looking at) have a syntax diagram that indicates that the sid part is optional, whereas in the 10g docs it's clearly shown as required part of the syntax.

Cheers,
Holger Received on Wed Dec 01 2004 - 02:24:35 CST