Drop Partition oracle 9iR2 solaris 32 bit

From: Oradba Linux <oradba_linux_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 03:48:01 GMT

  1. Alter table <table_name> drop partition <partition name> update global indexes.

This actually invalidates the plsql code in packages on the server side. So ideally the partition maintenance cannot spill over outside the maintenance window as it needs to recompile all the invalid objects. I was doing simple tests and the drop partition was instantaneous. I am wondering if this command immediately invalidates all the packages or after the command is executed. Say this command takes about 15 minute s to complete, do the packages remain valid during this time.

2.I am looking for an opinion here about how much is usually automated with respect to maintaining a certain number of partitions. Do some of you have automated creating tablespaces as required every month or every quarter? I am personally leaning towards keeping all that automated so that there would no mistakes made in manual process. Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 21:48:01 CST