Re: 2 GB myth

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 14:07:11 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411301148.4bfbe198_at_posting.google.com>...

> [Lightbulb dimly flickering above head] Oh yeah, I had forgotten about
> running into this as O attempted to attach to shared memory on a new
> system. How might I find the process with the most network
> connections?

Don't really know, trying to find out. Likely some obscure option of netstat. In RH to find the open files for a process, I can "ls /proc/<proc#>/fd". But I must be root. Same for Suse, AFAIK. Pretty much the same for Linux distros? And the content of fd seems to indicate what kind of file. For example if it is a socket, then it has a "socket:" prefix. If it is a pipe,then it is "pipe:". If it is a normal file, then it is "/*...".

This would indicate some scripting would be in order, may be using "wc -l" and grep? SUID bit and owned by root? Probably been done already somewhere.

> A Tb here, a Tb there, pretty soon you're talking about some _real_
> data.

It's getting there. Currently working in a workflow app with basically 1Tb of expected data.
How can anyone generate so much workflow beats me! I reckon another 5 years and Tb dbs are gonna be as common as tea in a pot. We better be ready... Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 16:07:11 CST