Re: large pool always filling up

From: Mr Boombastic <shaggy_at_popstar.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 13:27:42 -0800

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

Jonathan, we don't get messages like the one you mention below. What actually happens is that we constantly run a report on the database which tells us the large pool usage. When we see that we only have x Mb free we start calling the users up and ask them to log off the system if possible. This is our current workaround to the problem.

Would increasing the shared_pool_size and/or the large_pool_size resolve the issue? How can we identify problem queries?

Occasionally users have reported seeing TNS errors which occur at or around the time the large pool is full or nearly full. I dont recall from memory the exact ORA or TNS error number but will post back in this thread when I have the full details hopefully tomorrow.

Although we are on 8.1.7.4 we are in the process of upgrading to 9.2.0.5 in the next couple of months. Im hoping this problem will be resolved as a result of the upgrade but it would be helpful to diagnose the issue rather than clutch at straws and hope that a db upgrade will solve all the problems!!

I'll post full details of how big the large pool and shared pool / sga size is tomorrow when i have full access to the database.

THanks to all the replies so far.