Re: Table with 7000 columns?

From: Mustafa <mustafakapadia_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 07:15:41 -0800

hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com (utkanbir) wrote in message news:<f6c90ebe.0411292239.42efe1f2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi ,
>
> This is related to datawarehouse , data mining . We are told that data
> mining tools such as spss or sas , need a large table which has lots
> of columns inside . Based on our project , out final table which will
> be used in data mining , has lots of computed values . The final
> number of columns of the table is 7800!(lots of calculated values)
> First of all , i dont see the reason of this requirement of the data
> mining tools. I will be appreciated if someone can clarify this: Why
> does a data mining tool need such a large table?

One more thing you should also consider when you have a table with many columns is, how many rows will the table have. If the table is fat both in terms of columns and rows then it will definitely have a bad response time. Full table scans will be extremely slow. On the contrary if the table does not have many rows, it would be possible to query the table. You should experiment and see. Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 09:15:41 CST