Re: Copying v8.1.5 NT Database to 10g Win2003 Server?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 05:03:08 -0800

Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<5XPqd.51737$QJ3.37764_at_newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> SAP BASIS Consultant wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed Oracle 10g on Win2003. I created a database with the same
> > name (Say TEST) as a v8.1.5/NT database on another server.
> [...]
> >
> > I also created the same Windows directory structure for Oracle in
> > Win2003 (10g) as in NT (8i), and adapted the necessary env.
> > variables and/or registry parameters. 'listener.ora' and
> > 'tnsnames.ora' have also succesfully been adapted.
> >
> > Will I be able to do a straight copy of the source 8i files into
> > the target 10g Oracle directory structure, and reset the logs
> > in the target 10g database when opening it?
> >
> > I realize that an export/import may be more straightforward, but
> > the server hosting the source 8i database may not have the disk
> > space necessary for an export.
> > SAP BASIS Consultant
>
> But to get from 8.1.5 to 10g will at minimum require a stop at 8.1.7.4.
> Which implies at least two migrations (or upgrades, I never could
> remember the subtle difference), in addition to another complete Oracle
> home install (plus patch). This could get a little tricky.

8.1.5 to 10g is not supported as FULL=Y (export and Import). However, if all the users are pre-created in the target 10g database then schema level import is an option. I would still favor upgrading to 8.1.7 and then do a full export to 10g. I think this is lesser of the two evils.

> If you don't have enough disk space for an export, you are in real trouble.
>
> As a side note, the jump from Windows NT 4.0 to W2k3 server might be
> non-trivial as well.

I have not tested copying NT/2000/XP files directly to 2003 to see if it works. It may or may not but since 2003 comes in 64 bit flavor also (Which OP did not mention if he is on 32 or 64 bit 2003)... I would be very hesitant in doing it as Oracle does not support 32bit database on 64bit 2003. Plus Oracle ships separate software for 2003 32bit and 64bit.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 07:03:08 CST