Re: large pool always filling up

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:32:53 GMT

"Gerry Sinkiewicz" <sinkiege_at_snet.net> wrote in message news:NXOqd.34586$Qv5.10082_at_newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...

> "Mr Boombastic" <shaggy_at_popstar.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> We are running an Oracle 8.1.7.4 database in production and we have a
>> problem on one of our databases where the large pool is always filling
>> up and on an almost daily basis gets to more than 90 - 100 % full. How
>> do we identify any problem queries? Statspack info on the large pool
>> is limited, as is anything on Metalink.
>>
>> And yes, we use MTS on the database. I'm not sure where to start the
>> tuning process really as previous investigations have all yielded a
>> blank (where we mostly used Statspack for analysis).
>>
>> One possible avenue i have in mind is to investigate the dispatcher
>> process (v$dispatcher, v$dispatcher_rate) and also identifying any
>> shared server contention. Would reducing any MTS help our issue?
>>
>> Im not sure where else to look really. Maybe an experienced DBA out
>> there can help and point me in the right direction?
>
> How big is you large_pool?
>
> If it is less than 300MB, think larger.

Hi Gerry

Why ?

If one has a 50MB large pool with low utilisation, do you still recommend making it larger ? And how much larger, would 316MB be OK ?

If one has a 500MB large pool that is fully utilized, do we go ignore it as we're over the magical 300MB value ?

Any recommendations on the minimum size of the shared pool ? Or the buffer caches ?

You get my point ....

Richard   Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 06:32:53 CST