Re: Simple Create Procedure Problem..

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:23:10 +1100

Mark C. Stock wrote:
[snip]

> wow! that was unexpected!
>
> 'slow down' was meant as nothing more than a friendly, 'hey, don't forget',
> or whatever you would normally interpret as a non-confrontational additional
> comment

"Slow down" usually means "Your answer was penned in great haste and is mostly superficial and wrong as a result. Slow down, take a deep breath, calm down, and think things through again". It's what I scream at my driver when I am being hurtled towards the back of a truck. I am told with a grimace and needle eyes that it can be quite confrontational.

> i am truly sorry that it was taken as an affront -- that was certainly not
> my intent. based on the content of all your other posts and publications, i
> simply assumed you had overlooked something that you were well aware of.

I make lots and lots and lots of mistakes. Very seldom, however, are they the result of simply overlooking something.

> however, since you apparently are of a different opinion on the technical
> issues, let me elaborate a little
>
> i stand by the statement that execute immediate is unnecessary, as there is
> no dynamic sql involved here. if i'm not mistaken, execute immediate also
> causes additional parses (so i recall from my recent readings, i've not done
> tests to empirically prove this). i would not want any of my students,
> readers, or developers to get in the habit of using execute immediate for
> non-dynamic sql.

Mark: I don't want to debate it, OK? You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine, about what was best to show the OP as a possible answer to his specific question. The question of which is technically the superior approach is not in doubt.

> providing the OP with an example that lacks a basic and typical element,
> like the into clause, can be, i believe, misleading -- especially to a
> newbie. yes, the code does compile, but it does not accomplish anything --

It does. It shows him where his compilation error arose, and one possible way of avoiding it. That's all I set out to accomplish. That was all the OP actually needed to accomplish. After that, he needs to visit the reference library and start learning PL/SQL properly.

> and it is not a stretch to assume that if a select statement is being
> issued, then the point is to have access to the results.

Then it has been a long time since you learnt PL/SQL, because I well recall my first goal being just to write some that compiled, and to hell with whether it actually did anything useful!

But whatever. I really *don't* want to discuss it.

> borrowing from the 'teach a man to fish' illustration -- if someone asks me
> how to put the worm on the hook and he's standing there with just a pole and
> a hook, i would think it appropriate to remind him not to forget to connect
> the hook to the pole with a bit of fishing line.

It's a false analogy. I showed him how to attach the hook to the pole. You want to sell him a Coastal Tournament CLT661MFS with Sealine SL4550BR four ball and roller bearings reel with easy rear drag adjustment.

> sorry again for my poor choice of words -- your posts are always valued, and
> i certainly welcome any corrections or challenges you care to provide for my
> posts.

Let's leave it there then. I don't want another great long thread about what the OP actually needed versus what others deem it necessary for him to know.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 06:23:10 CST