Re: Thunderbird

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:01:01 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41ab6a37$0$26294$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
>> I don't like top-posting, but a program that chomps on messages that
>> are top-posted needs work IMO.
>
> Just to be clear: it doesn't have the slightest problem *displaying* all
> the text in a message. It's what happens when you hit the reply button: it
> makes the assumption that you want to reply to the actual content of a
> post, and not someone's signature. For me, that is indeed an eminently
> sensible thing to assume, though it is predicated on a further assumption
> that may be less sensible given the real world we live in: that people
> will sign their posts at the end, and not at the beginning.

I stand twice corrected.

> I can't actually think of any culture on Earth that believes signing off
> something first, and then actually including some contents, is the right
> order of events. Except, of course, top-posting on the Internet, which has
> nevertheless long been deprecated.

The culture I had in mind was email replies, especially in Outlook enabled environments ( something like 80% of corporate environments). These invariably top post (and don't cut: and don't edit, and don't spell...~)

> As I say, it only removes anything when replying, not when originally
> reading.

I misunderstood.

Niall Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 15:01:01 CST