Re: 64 bit or 32 bit

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:34:31 GMT

Yasaswi Pulavarti wrote:
> How can I verify if Oracle 10g running on RHEL 3 AS is running on 64
> bit mode or 32 bit mode?
> Also the x86-64 installation guide does not not talk about
> "runInstaller" asking if the DBA wants 64 bit Oracle 10g installed or
> 32 bit Oracle 10g installed. How can I specify which bit version to
> install?
> Please help.
> Thanks,
> Yasaswi

For linux there are three different versions of oracle 10g (all in different CD packs):

  1. for x86 (for example xeon)
  2. for x86-64 (AMD64 and EM64T)
  3. for itanium.

You can install 1 on 32 bit processors and opteron, 2 only on AMD64 and 3 only on itanium.

If the database is already installed just connect with sqlplus. If it is a 64 bit version it is explicitly stated. Otherwise it is a 32 bit version. Another way is to check the libraries with the command "file".

 From your previous post I believe you are trying to guess what kind of processor to use for your future systems.

I find the AMD64 extremely fast but I haven't made enought test yet on itanium II for making comparisons.
Drawback for oracle x86-64, so far, is the support. Oracle is not spending too many efforts on that system. Few patches... and releases late by months.

However I like this architecture a lot.
(By the way: in my test RAC 10g x86-64 is still not working).

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com