Re: ORA-12203, but I can do a tnsping

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:30:04 +1100

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> ejsanchez_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Hi everybody!
>> I have a singular problem, I can't connect through Forms Developer to
>> my
>> Oracle Database, I receive the
>>
>> "ORA-12203: TNS unable to connect to destination"
>>
>> I already have the listener running.
>> The curious thing is that if I stop and restart it again, it seems to
>> work for
>> a couple of minutes, but after some time this error begins to
>> appear....
>> I also can tnsping from the machine I'm trying to access the database:
>>
>> Attempting to contact
>> (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcp.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=10.0.0.42)(Port=1521)
>> OK (50 msec)
>> The listener.log reports the following:
>> 29-NOV-2004 09:19:10
>> *(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=NUMAR)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\ORANT\BIN\ifrun60.EXE)(HOST=SJ-ESM)
>>
>> (USER=esanchez))) *
>> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.0.1.147)(PORT=1584))
>> * establish * NUMAR * 0
>>
>> I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat 9.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> thanks in advance,
>>   -eduardo s.m.
>>

> In the first place, and just in case it's not clear, tnsping says "can
> the client find a listener". It says nothing about moving beyond the
> listener to actually contacting an instance.
>
> Secondly, Red Hat 9 is a non-supported platform, so I hope this isn't a
> production system. All manner of slightly curious glitchy errors could
> arise, and they might simply be down to your choice of O/S
>
> Third, I'm slightly worried by the fact that tnsping reports port 1521,
> and your listener log reports port 1584.
>
> Fourth, go through the various diagnostics that Oracle itself recommends
> for this 12203 error:
>
> 1. Verify that you have entered the net service name you wish to reach
> correctly.
>
> 2. Verify that the net service name ADDRESS parameters in the connect
> descriptor of your tnsnames.ora file are correct.
>
> 3. Verify that your tnsnames.ora file is stored in the correct directory.
>
> 4. Verify that the listener on the remote node has started and is
> running. Enter:
>
> lsnrctl
>
> lsnrctl> status listener_name
>
> listener_name is the name of the listener defined in the listener.ora
> file. It is not necessary to identify the listener if you are using the
> default listener, named LISTENER.
>
> If the output indicates the listener is not running, try starting it
> with the command:
>
> lsnrctl> start listener_name
>
> 5. If you are connecting from a login box, verify that you are not
> placing an "@" symbol before your connect net service name.
>
> Regards
> HJR
My apologies. I think that is a cut-and-paste from the wrong bit of the documentation. Firefox has messed the formatting of the page up, so I can't be sure!!

Anyway: check this link out:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a76933/troubles.htm#440471

(That's all on one line, in case it wraps).

All sorts of checks are mentioned, such as your protocol (run $ORACLE_HOME/bin/adapters); check your net service name -is the HOST, SERVICE and PORT correct in your tnsnames?; are you using the right tnsnames?; Is the listener listening properly?.

Not a great deal of difference, I guess, from the list of checks I posted first time around... but have a read of the real thing anyway.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 13:30:04 CST