Re: ORA-12203, but I can do a tnsping

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:07:19 +1100

ejsanchez_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> I have a singular problem, I can't connect through Forms Developer to
> my
> Oracle Database, I receive the
>
> "ORA-12203: TNS unable to connect to destination"
>
> I already have the listener running.
> The curious thing is that if I stop and restart it again, it seems to
> work for
> a couple of minutes, but after some time this error begins to
> appear....
> I also can tnsping from the machine I'm trying to access the database:
>
> Attempting to contact
> (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcp.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=10.0.0.42)(Port=1521)
> OK (50 msec)
> The listener.log reports the following:
> 29-NOV-2004 09:19:10
> *(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=NUMAR)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\ORANT\BIN\ifrun60.EXE)(HOST=SJ-ESM)
> (USER=esanchez))) *
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.0.1.147)(PORT=1584))
> * establish * NUMAR * 0
>
> I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat 9.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> thanks in advance,
> -eduardo s.m.

In the first place, and just in case it's not clear, tnsping says "can the client find a listener". It says nothing about moving beyond the listener to actually contacting an instance.

Secondly, Red Hat 9 is a non-supported platform, so I hope this isn't a production system. All manner of slightly curious glitchy errors could arise, and they might simply be down to your choice of O/S

Third, I'm slightly worried by the fact that tnsping reports port 1521, and your listener log reports port 1584.

Fourth, go through the various diagnostics that Oracle itself recommends for this 12203 error:

  1. Verify that you have entered the net service name you wish to reach correctly.
  2. Verify that the net service name ADDRESS parameters in the connect descriptor of your tnsnames.ora file are correct.
  3. Verify that your tnsnames.ora file is stored in the correct directory.
  4. Verify that the listener on the remote node has started and is running. Enter:

lsnrctl

lsnrctl> status listener_name

listener_name is the name of the listener defined in the listener.ora file. It is not necessary to identify the listener if you are using the default listener, named LISTENER.

If the output indicates the listener is not running, try starting it with the command:

       lsnrctl> start listener_name

5. If you are connecting from a login box, verify that you are not placing an "@" symbol before your connect net service name.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 13:07:19 CST