Re: Thunderbird

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2004 06:02:31 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> I'm not sure it's a bug, really. It simply means that if people post
> where Netiquette suggests they should (at the bottom), any reply you
add
> will not include their signature. Eminently sensible, if you ask
me.
> It's top posting that stuffs that up... and unfortunately, that's
true
> of Jonathan's sensible 'see below' top posting as well as the less
> sensible 'stick everything at the top' variety.

I'm not sure that I agree that cutting text based on characters in the text, is an "eminently sensible" idea. If the placing of a signature were some sort of agreed standard rather than a social convention I might agree - one could then argue that it wasn't a bug, the original message would be at fault. Cutting text because the person who posted it was used to different social conventions in related mediums and transferred that knowledge across seems to be unexpected behaviour of the newsreader to me.

I don't like top-posting, but a program that chomps on messages that are top-posted needs work IMO.

Niall

p.s. As I don't have Thunderbird installed then this is clearly all predicated on an assumption that the program removes all text following a pair of hyphens - including the hyphens themselves. Received on Mon Nov 29 2004 - 08:02:31 CST