Installing OWB, Oracle Warehouse Builder on Redhat 2.1

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2004 21:42:32 -0800

I thought that I would just install OWB on Redhat AS 2.1 tonight. And then I started reading through the detailed 154 page installation doc. Gee, so simple.

Just how difficult is the installation? Is it simple enough once you start? Or, do you really need to study the docs like the OCP exams? I'm usually pretty well read, and thorough. But so often I spend multiples more time reading the docs, than doing the installation.

I want to install OWB on a standalone box. The docs warn a few times to install the different components in separate homes. It also mentions that you have to install using the same unix/linux user that installed Oracle.

I've sometimes created a different Oracle user, and associated .profile for separate Oracle versions on the same machine. Version, 7, 8, 8i, 9.2 Same dba group. Much easier. No more fooling around with profiles required. And you can't screw up and shut down the wrong database.

Do you think I could do similar with OWB, and make a separate Linux user, say OWB92, in this case? Or, do I need to fool around with the profiles? Received on Fri Nov 26 2004 - 23:42:32 CST