Re: Linux / Oracle compatibility list

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2004 21:01:04 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41a7bfcd$0$20858$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> mhthomas wrote:
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41974ae4$0$27446$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> >

> > I'm using VMWare and I've noticed its popular. Howard, I like your new
> > site, you have a bunch of good Oracle examples with VMWare. Thanks.
> >
> > FYI: VMWare backup and restore on Windows host. I'm getting an average
> > of 8x1 compression from .vmdk files to .rar using WinRAR command line.
> > Compression is slow, but I can expand about 1G/minute on a P4 3.2G CPU
> > machine. All my VMWare files are <= 2G chunks.
> >
> > My example of average 8x1 compression: I've got an 90G (sum .vmdk)
>

> That's a serious virtual machine! How big's the physical hard disk it's on?

Well, the original HD is 200g and its a data only drive. I usually move the files (via 100MB lan, which makes me appreciate 1GB lan) to another machine to compress. I setup my VM with disks that dynamically grow. I realized with externally compressed backups its almost never worth doing VMWare defrags and shrinking. Plus, I can get the same effect as VMWare defrag and shrinking with Mondo/Mindi LINUX OS B&R, but that's another story.

> I have a 12GB White Box + Oracle 10g Virtual Machine with Fedora Core 3
> as the host O/S. If I right-click that folder in nautilus and select
> 'create archive' (ie, using File Roller with all default settings), I
> end up with a 2.9GB tar archive, and it takes slightly over an hour to
> produce it (3GHz PIV). I'm sure I could get better compression with
> tweaked command line tools, but that's enough to get it onto a single
> DVD, so I tend not to bother.

That is very interesting. You appear to get 4x1 compression, and if I interpolate your results...

90G/12G * 1hr = 7.5hr (90G at 4x compression) or 15hr (90G at 8x compression),
and it takes me between 12-24 hours to compress 80G using WinRAR command line. I don't know exactly because I was not paying attention last time. The really amazing thing is that decompress only takes me 90-120 minutes for the same 90G.

In your case, its definately not worth /better/ compression if it fits on one DVD. But it may be worth /worse/ compress to go-faster and still fit on one DVD. ;-)

Another thing that may be of interest to LINUX users... I've evaluated and used Mondo/Mindi to B&R an RHEL3ASU2 system, and it seems to work well. I generate backup to HD as .iso files, then burn the .iso to boot CDROMs (might work for DVD .iso but I didn't test) for recovery. It probably works on Whitehat, too. Its free, and has some hick-ups, but if you have LINUX on your hardware its worth a run. It worked with my RAID-1, etc. :-)

I'd also be interested to hear anyone else's experiences on B&R of LINUX OS. Regards,

Mike Thomas Received on Fri Nov 26 2004 - 23:01:04 CST