Re: Linux / Oracle compatibility list

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2004 13:08:06 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41974ae4$0$27446$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "michael v'" <voichekm_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
..
> Asked quite a lot. No need to buy anything. White Box and 10g, regardless of
> your current O/S... see www.dizwell.com for details (Virtual Oracle)
>
> Regards
> HJR
I'm using VMWare and I've noticed its popular. Howard, I like your new site, you have a bunch of good Oracle examples with VMWare. Thanks.

FYI: VMWare backup and restore on Windows host. I'm getting an average of 8x1 compression from .vmdk files to .rar using WinRAR command line. Compression is slow, but I can expand about 1G/minute on a P4 3.2G CPU machine. All my VMWare files are <= 2G chunks.

My example of average 8x1 compression: I've got an 90G (sum .vmdk) VMWare client containing an Oracle Apps11i system compressed onto 3x DVD backup. After restoring the 3x DVD to the HD it takes about 90-120 minutes to decompress the VM and start it up on Windows. Handy if you are patient. :-)

I'd be interested to know similar stats of anyone doing compression of VMWare files on a LINUX host? I'll test it myself very soon, so if I don't hear back I'll post my results.

Regards,

Mike Thomas Received on Fri Nov 26 2004 - 15:08:06 CST