Re: RAID 5 vs RAID 10 benchmark

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:15:53 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>
>> The real concern with RAID 5 is what happens when you pull one of the
>> disks out. A single physical I/O now requires a read to be made against
>> every surviving member of the array, so that the missing data can be
>> deduced. RAID5's I/O performance under failure conditions is woeful. And
>> you suffer it for the duration of the array rebuild when you plug the
>> disk back in.

If you consider a single stripe across the traditional 5-disc raid, then either (a) the dead disk is the parity disk (one time in 5) - in which case reads don't do any extra reads, and you no longer have a write overhead on the other four. or (b) the dead disk is one of the data disks (4 chances in 5) - in which case three of the possibly reads won't have to do any extra reads, and only one read in 4 will have to read the other three disks and the parity disk to infer re-create the fourth set of data.
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> In addition to that:
> - pull out a second one on RAID-5: nothing goes.

> - pull out a second one on RAID 1+0: who cares?
> (unless you happen to pull the one disk, that
> had no mirror anymore)
>
> Basic message: RAID10 (or 1+0) is *safer* than RAID5,
> because you can *never* loose 2 disks in RAID5 without
> serious disruption (involving restoring of backups).
But since people tend to create multiple RAID-5 sets with a small number of discs in each set, it IS still possible to lose several discs from the cabinet before your worst case scenario happens. It's still the standard triangle of cost, benefit and risk with different answers appropriate to different circumstances.