Re: 10g downwards compatibility

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:25:11 +1100

Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote:
>

>>On 24 Nov 2004 16:28:39 GMT, Christoph Kukulies
>><kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>>>After installing 10g I find that some things are different.
>>>Especially I had to rely on O7_dictioniary_accessibility=TRUE on init.ora.
>>>
>>>The parameter is understood. But still I have problems with the SYS user.
>>>Seems I cannot run an SQL script under user SYS any longer that creates some
>>>Views on SYS.all_tables or something in that vein.
>>>
>>>How can I get 10g to behave more 9i or 8i like?

>>By stop creating objects you shouldn't have created in the first
>>place.

> Can you explain, what you mean by this?
>
> I have the problem that I cannot login any longer as sys/password any longer.
> Instead I'm told I have to login as sysoper or sysdba (Error ORA-28009).

Correct. But that's not news, surely. You were told about that back in 8.0. And commonsense should tell you not to log on as SYS unless you are performing the sort of privileged actions that require use of the SYSDBA privilege.

> This breaks the above mentioned O7_dictionary_compatibility.

It doesn't break anything. One of the new features in 9i is that the default value for 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY is now FALSE, whereas it has been TRUE for 8.0 and 8i. It's a well-publicisied change (discussed, incidentally, in the opening chapters of my eDocument concerning 9i new features), and only puts into place something which should have been in place for two versions.

HJR