IBM LPAR & Oracle Licensing (not again!)

From: Zen <zen_at_zen.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:12:57 +0800

Hi all

A quick a simple question (but very difficult to get a straight answer).

I have a IBM Power5 570, 5 physical cpus, dual core.

If I run 4x LPARs of 2x logically exposed CPUs each and run Oracle EE cpu based licence. What do I buy?

Is it:
a) 8x Oracle EE cpu based (because of the dual core) b) 20x Oracle EE licences (5servers x2 dual core cpus)

ie. do I licence the phyical CPUs ONCE and host whatever number of LPAR servers I can with no additional cost.

From what I understand LPAR is "hard partitioned". Please dont mention any other combo :) its hard enough as it is.

Best Regards

Ck Received on Thu Nov 25 2004 - 06:12:57 CST