Re: RAM Errors when backing to disk

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:34:20 +1100

Prem K Mehrotra wrote:
> I am running Oracle9i r2 on HP UNIX 11i.
>
> Whenever, I allocate channel of type DISK, I get error, cannot figure
> out why. I have looked in Oracle's own scripts and syntax is exactly
> the same,
> so I do not understand the error:
>
> RMAN> run {
> 2>
> 3> allocate channel ch1 type 'DISK';

Why the quotes?

Why the allocation of channels, come to that?

run {
allocate channel d1 type disk;
...}

...will work, though it would be better to configure a default degree of parallelisation.

As to the rest of your script, just try:

run {
allocate channel d1 type disk;
backup
incremental level 1 cumulative
database format '/oradbblob/bkup/dbfile_%U%_%t'; }

The precise word ordering is quite often unimportant, though 'incremental level 1 cumulative' has to come after the word 'backup'. But I prefer seeing what it is that I am backing up ("database") before I start worrying about where to back it up to ("format...").

But your basic problem is simply that you've left two blank lines in the middle of your script. RMAN treats two empty lines as being the end of the sequence of commands... so it means it thinks you've submitted a job request before you've actually got all the syntax right.

Regards
HJR