Re: 10g on Windows Server 2000?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:02:19 +1100

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>>> Well, I can tell you you're wrong, because most people have never
>>> encountered such errors. I notice several other posts from you
>>> claiming that SYS can't run certain things in 10g that he could in
>>> 9i... that, too, is you and not a generically true observation.
>>

>>> Whatever it is you're doing, pause, take a deep breath, read the
>>> installation documentation, and try again.
>>

>>> For starters, please make sure you are not running DHCP.
>>

>> I'm running DHCP. Why shouldn't I ? Could that be causing the
>> problems I have?
>> Thanks.

> Yes. DHCP causes all sorts of problems, which rather answers your "why
> shouldn't I?" question.
>
> It specifically states not to in the installation documentation, and
> explains that if you are, you have to pretend not to by installing the
> Microsoft loopback adapter.
>
> It seems to me rather peculiar in any case to set up *servers* with
> DHCP, because there usually aren't many of them, and they tend not to
> come and go as the mood takes them. DHCP makes an awful lot of sense
> when you have lots of *client* machines to manage, connecting and
> disconnecting and re-connecting from the network as workers do their
> thing. In short, and in general, DHCP is not particularly suitable for
> *servers*.
>
> But regardless of the metaphysics behind that particular discussion, if
> you have DHCP, pretend you don't: visit www.microsoft.com and search for
> the phrase 'loopback adapter'.
>
> HJR
Incidentally, if it makes you feel any better, you are not the first to have run afoul of the "no DHCP (or fake it otherwise)" rule.

So much so, indeed, that I have felt moved to place a networking FAQ now on my site regarding the matter (http://www.dizwell.com/html/dhcp.html)

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 24 2004 - 15:02:19 CST