Re: 10g RAC,listener or firewall switching host.

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:48:18 +0100

On 24 Nov 2004 05:55:07 -0800, sqldba_at_comcast.net (Cheap Smokes) wrote:

>I can be much more specific if needed but has anyone had a problem
>with a firewall sitting between a RAC cluster and your workstation
>causing host name to change? Let be clarify that. My TNSNames file has
>both nodes addresses in it. I connect via SQL*Plus to the name
>associated to this entry. A listener trace on my system show it being
>sent. A trace on both nodes shows it being received. The trace from,
>lets say node 1, show the connect command being received. It then does
>a redirect via server side load balancing and sends the connection
>info back to me indicating that I will be connected to node 2 and port
>1234. When this packet gets back to my system the trace shows that the
>packet just sent indicates I should connect to node 1, not node 2 that
>was just sent, and that it should be on the port that was just sent(it
>comes across without being changed). Odd, it seems like the packet is
>being changed in transit.
>
>Charlie

No.
If your IP-address for that node on the server doesn't match the IP address for the client this will happen automatically. The server always communicates via it's own IP-address. You have a typical NAT installation and you'll need to use CMAN to use NAT. Unfortunately, load-balancing and and CMAN can't be used in conjunction.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA