Re: 10g on Windows Server 2000?

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 24 Nov 2004 12:11:36 GMT

Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > Does 10g run on Windows Server 2000 SP3 (german) ? I had a slightly messed
> > install over an existing 9i installation (which was probably my fault of
> > not removing 9i cleanly) and after rebooting and doing
> > an uninstall and reinstall again I got through with 2 glitches:
> >
> > 1. OCR gave an error (could not be installed or something)
> >
> > 2. ORACss services could not be started (service stayed in state 'starting')

I can now say, that this error is permanent with 10g. I did a second installation on a totally different machine (Windows XP) which never got tainted by Oracle before and during the 10gSetup I got these two errors above. An OS error occured, contact your system administrator. (that was BS Fehler in german).

Possibly a resource bottleneck. Not enough virtual memory? It is a 1GB Memory, dual processor PIII machine in this case. The other one failing (this morning) was a 512MB Athlon (FWIW).

> > As a result of this installation on Windows Server 2000 the ORATNSListener
> > process was not starting and gave an error that it could not be started
> > when restarted manually in the services manager of Windows 2000.

Gotta watch now about the listener process if that fails too. Will come back on this issue later.