Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Solaris 9 from CD - Why 'chmod' necessry?

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:54:10 -0500

Mark Bole wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We'd been trying to install Oracle 9i on a Solaris 9 machine from CD,
> > and were finally able to get it working. However, one thing that we
> > found (that wasn't in the info that we had) was that, as root, we had to
> > umount the cdrom drive, "chmod 777" the cdrom, then mount it again.
> > Once we did that we were able to execute runInstaller ok.
> >
> > If anyone knows, I'm kind of curious about exactly WHY the "chmod 777"
> > was necessary?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Jim
>
> Should not have been necessary, I've never had to do it (at least under
> Solaris 8).
>
> Since CD-ROMs from Oracle are read-only, I assume you mean, chmod the
> mount point (directory) for the CD-ROM.
>
> Presumably you followed the instructions to be in some other directory
> outside of the CD-ROM mount point, to allow for the second and third
> disks to be inserted during the install process.
>
> -Mark Bole

Mark,

Yes, we executed the "runInstaller" while in a directory on the hard drive. Something like:

  /cdrom/./runInstaller

Honestly, I've asked a few people at work, and no one can explain this, but every one of them seemed to know that we had to do the umount, "chmod 777", then mount and then runInstaller.

Like you, I assumed that the /cdrom was just read-only, so I'm still puzzled.

Jim Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 20:54:10 CST