Re: Oracle 8.1.7 32-Bit to Oracle 8.1.7 64-Bit

From: Eberhard Niendorf <eberhard.niendorf_schrott_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:41:06 +0100

Bob wrote:

> b) What I would like to do is use the backup of the database on the
> HP-UX 11.00 32-Bit machine (cold backup in this case) and use it on
> the HP-UX 11.00 64-bit machine. I have been told by our unix team
> that we can't use a 32-bit oracle backup of the database on a 64-bit
> version of Oracle. Is this correct ?

Hmm, it depends on the backup infrastructure, or better the backup media mamagemant software ... and what type of oracle backup?

  1. RMAN Backup There are 32bit and 64bit versions of the media management interface. But the different versions are only necessary because of the 32bit/64bit oracle libraries. You can backup with RMAN 32bit and restore the same data with RMAN 64bit, if the MMI it allows. Absolute no problem for our infrastructure (Tivoli TSM with TDPoracle), but I don't know MMI from other vendors.
  2. Backup on disk and then to tape Here it depends only on the Backupsoftware.

But if you have the downtime to make a offline backup, then you can copy the datafiles to the other machine via scp or nfs instead of the offline backup and make the new backup form the new machine. This is much faster the exp/imp ...

Eberhard Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 16:41:06 CST