Re: how to deinstall oracle cleanly?

From: Murray Sobol <murray_sobol_at_dbcsmartsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:35:40 -0500

Try these instructions, they are for Windows NT but should work on Windows 2000 & 2003...
Removing Components on Windows NT
To remove all Oracle components from a computer on Windows NT:

WARNING:
These instructions remove all Oracle components, services, and registry entries from your computer. In addition, any database files under ORACLE_BASE\ORADATA\DB_NAME are also removed. Exercise extreme care when removing registry entries. Removing incorrect entries can break your system.

Ensure you are logged in as a user with Administrator privileges.

Stop all Oracle services (if any are running):

Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services.

If any Oracle services (their names begin with Oracle) exist and have the status Started, select the service and click Stop.

Click Close to exit the Services window.

Start the registry at the MS-DOS command prompt:

C:\> REGEDT32 Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE.

Delete the ORACLE key.

Delete any Oracle key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove all keys under here that begin with ORACLE.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services \EventLog\Application, and remove all keys under here that begin with ORACLE. Close the registry.

Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Environment tab.

Click on the system variable path and modify the Path variable.

If JRE was installed by Oracle, remove the %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN path and the JRE path. For example, you may see a path similar to this one:

C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN;G:\PROGRAM FILES\ORACLE\JRE\1.1.7\BIN Exit the Control Panel.

Go to SYSTEM_DRIVE:\WINNT\PROFILES\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS.

Delete the following icons:

Oracle - HOME_NAME

Oracle Installation Products

where HOME_NAME is the previous Oracle home name.

Delete SYSTEM_DRIVE:\Program Files\Oracle.

Delete all ORACLE_BASE directories on your hard drive.

Reboot your computer.

Murray