Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Solaris 9 from CD - Why 'chmod' necessry?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:28:28 GMT

ohaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We'd been trying to install Oracle 9i on a Solaris 9 machine from CD,
> and were finally able to get it working. However, one thing that we
> found (that wasn't in the info that we had) was that, as root, we had to
> umount the cdrom drive, "chmod 777" the cdrom, then mount it again.
> Once we did that we were able to execute runInstaller ok.
>
> If anyone knows, I'm kind of curious about exactly WHY the "chmod 777"
> was necessary?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

Should not have been necessary, I've never had to do it (at least under Solaris 8).

Since CD-ROMs from Oracle are read-only, I assume you mean, chmod the mount point (directory) for the CD-ROM.

Presumably you followed the instructions to be in some other directory outside of the CD-ROM mount point, to allow for the second and third disks to be inserted during the install process.

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 10:28:28 CST