Re: Multiple tablespacesI

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:31:44 -0500

"Bram Mariën" <bma_at_abiware.be> wrote in message news:nd73q09fidnqf1tp2ma6vnvh5b5dh0148k_at_4ax.com...
| On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:19:08 -0500, "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery
| .com> wrote:
|

| >tablespaces are physical storage structures, not logical storage
structures

| >if you have multiple copies of identical tables, you probably want to use
| >multiple schemas and then use the ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA = xxxx
| >command
| >
| >++ mcs
| >

| Hi,
|
| I've done some reading, and if I understand it right, Schemas are
| linked to specific users.
|
| What I want to achieve is that I got multiple datasets, where no
| matter which user can select the desired dataset and retreive data
| from the tables in that specific dataset.
|
| I don't think schemas are meant to be used to way, or do they?
|
| I'm sorry if I ask dumb questions, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all
| the knowledge all around me !
|
| Bram

yes, in oracle schemas are meant to be used that way -- the concept of user and schema are closely coupled

however, in any RDBMS, you can't (or shouldn't) have a situation 'where no matter which user can select' unless you specifically set up permissions for those users.

to accomplish what you describe in oracle, you probably want one user/schema as the owner for each dataset, one role per dataset as a target for permissions (GRANT SELECT, INSERT, etc) on that dataset, then accounts for each end-user that have appropriate system (ie, CREATE SESSION) and role privileges.

++ mcs Received on Mon Nov 22 2004 - 05:31:44 CST